West-Strand slippers are handcrafted in the same way dating back to the 18th Century and made out of:
- 4 layers of 100% wool walk-fabric
- 20 layers of 100% cotton,
- A 100% wool felt sole which coated in natural rubber,
- The logo and the edging is a 100% cotton ribbon,
- Bees’ wax to strengthen the yarn and some elbow grease is used to handcraft a pair of slippers in this traditional way of hand sewing tiroler Doggln. (Slippers)
This craft remains unchanged since the 18th century, when craftsmen would make a pair of Doggln (as we call them back home in Austria) out of old work clothing or jackets, moving from farm to farm for free accommodation and food.
- The heat of your feet will soften and custom shape the Slipper to your foot.
- Wool is naturally self-cleaning. It is disinfecting and antibacterial so it resists the build-up of smell and dirt.
The West-Strand 100% wool range is handcrafted in my workshop right on the Atlantic Coast in the small village of Strandhill in Co. Sligo, in the North-West of Ireland. As all work is handmade, variations are part of the unique process of creation. That makes every product one of a kind.
Materials: The 100% sheep wool fabric is called walk. It’s made in Austria in a small town near my home village, where the wool is knitted first then hammered for strength.
The Shetland wool which is used for the walk-fabric is perhaps the completest article of its kind in the universe:
- possessing at the same time,
- the gloss and softness of silk,
- the strength of cotton,
- the whiteness of linen and
- the warmth of wool which is the finest of all native breeds.
Did you know,… Wool as a natural material with its natural wool fleece insulation keeps you warm through reflecting the body heat on cold days. On warm days it keeps you cool through its air pillow.
- It also is water resistant,
- air permeable and
- absorbs/stores moisture.